The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children be evaluated by an orthodontist around seven years of age. At King Orthodontics we specialize in comprehensive orthodontic care for the entire family.
Does my child require orthodontic treatment?
There are many ways to determine if your chiled is a candidate for orthodontic treatment. In addition to a referral from their dentist, parents can be on the lookout for:
- Losing baby teeth either early or late.
- Having a hard time chewing or biting food.
- Breathing through the mouth.
- Continuous finger or thumb sucking.
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth.
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when your child opens or closes their mouth.
- Teeth that do not fully come together or come together abnormally.
- Jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face.
- Crowded front teeth when your child is seven or eight.
Why choose orthodontic treatment at a young age?
At this age children usually have both baby and permanent teeth. That accompanied by rapidly growing jaws makes it easier for an orthodontist identify both current and potential tooth and jaw problems. Early evaluation often leads to preventative treatment may eliminate the need for surgery or more invasive procedures later.
With early treatment it is easier for our doctors to:
- Correct or guide the growth of your child’s jaw so that permanent teeth will come in straight.
- Regulate the width of the jaw’s upper and lower arches.
- Create more room in a narrow jaw for crowded teeth.
- Avoid having permanent tooth extracted when they’re older.
- Correct any jaw or tooth problems caused by thumb-sucking and also improve minor speech problems.
Early evaluation and treatment is the best way for your child to have a healthy, confident smile for the rest of his or her life. If you would like to learn more about braces and other orthodontic treatments for children, call or email our practice for a complimentary consultation. We have convenient locations in Wexford, Pittsburgh, and Bridgeville. Our team will work with you to help find appointments that will fit your busy schedule.