More and more adults are looking to get a more confident smile. At King Orthodontics nearly 50% of our patients are adults. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists reports that one out of every five orthodontic patients nationwide is over the age 21.
Why do adults consider orthodontic treatment?
Adults today are getting treatment for a number of reasons. At King Orthodontics our patients vary from those who have had braces as a child and are looking to touch up their smile to others are seeking treatment for the first time.
For an adult seeking treatment for the first time, some factors leading to this decision are:
- They may have difficulty chewing due to a bad bite or malocclusion, where teeth don’t align properly.
- Their teeth are too crowded or spaced too widely apart, which can lead to greater tooth decay or even gum disease.
- They have jaw pain or suffer from pressure that is caused by crooked teeth.
- They want a healthier mouth and more confident smile.
What kind of treatment options are available for adults?
Many adults have already had traditional metal braces in the past and would now like to wear customized, comfortable, and even invisible appliances. King Orthodontics offers many types of braces to fit your lifestyle and your needs:
- Clear braces
- Invisible braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (Behind The Tooth) braces
- Traditional metal braces
What is the difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics that children and teens use?
Adult jawbones have stopped growing, while children and teens have jawbones that are still developing. Because an adult’s jawbones are set, they may need surgery first to align their jaw before they can start wearing braces. There are some other differences too:
- Gum or Bone Loss (Periodontal Disease) — Adults are more likely have recessed gums or bone loss because of gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Worn or Missing Teeth — As you age, your teeth can become worn down and begin to shift into different positions which can only be fixed through orthodontic treatment. Adults are also more likely to be missing teeth, which can change the position of the teeth around that space, leading to a bad bite or gum disease.
- Incomplete Orthodontic Treatment in the Past — Some adults wore braces or retainers as teenagers but didn’t complete their treatment. Now, they would like to finish their treatment and enjoy a healthy smile.
Our staff knows that adults who receive orthodontic treatment at our office have different needs than children do, and we welcome the chance to work with you and develop your treatments.
Why should adults consider orthodontic treatment?
- Having straight teeth helps to keep your teeth healthy. If your teeth are in the correct position, they easier to floss and brush. Being able to properly clean your teeth means that you are less likely to have gum disease.
- It’s a confidence builder. The right orthodontic treatment will give you a better quality of life and helps bring confidence to your smile.
- Untreated problems can get worse. Leaving teeth uncorrected can lead to several long-term problems, including uneven wear on teeth.
If you’d like to hear more about adult orthodontic treatment, give us a call today. We have two convenient locations in Wexford, Pittsburgh, and Bridgeville. We’ll work around your schedule when setting your appointments and make this process as convenient as possible.