Between extracurricular activities, classes, and hanging out with friends, taking care of your braces outside of the comfort of your home can be stressful. To help make caring for your braces or aligners at school less stressful, we’ve put together a few tips to help you handle any dental situation that may come up.
Use a Basic Care Kit to Keep Your Teeth Clean
Keeping your teeth clean, especially with braces, aligner, or retainers, is very important to your dental health. To help you keep up with proper oral care at school, consider putting together a basic care kit, including:
- Travel Toothbrush. This compact toothbrush, accompanied by a travel sized tube of toothpaste, can be used for cleanings after a meal on the go.
- Dental Floss, Threader, and Dental Picks. Avoid the embarrassment of having food stuck in your teeth or braces after lunch by keeping one of these items in your care kit.
- Water Bottle. This will help you stay hydrated, help remove food particles from your teeth, and will rinse way sugar, acid, and bacteria that could harm your mouth.
- Small Mirror. A mirror will come in handy to help you check that your teeth and braces are clear of food.
- Keep our phone number handy as well. If you have an issue with your aligners, braces or retainers or if you have a dental emergency, contact our Pittsburgh, Wexford, or Bridgeville office immediately.
Below are a few ways you can customize your care kit, depending on whether you have braces, aligners, or retainers:
If you have braces, here are a few items to add to your basic care kit:
Orthodontic Wax. This wax can help alleviate irritation caused by parts of our braces such as brackets that can protrude, irritating your gums and the lining of your cheeks and lips.
Easy to Eat Snacks. Keep soft, healthy foods such as yogurt to help give you energy for after-school activities while keeping your braces intact.
For Aligners or a Retainer
Your case. If you need to take your retainers or aligners out, you can use your case to protect them and to keep them from getting lost while you enjoy your lunch or play a game of basketball in gym class.
You can fit all of these items in a case or small bag that you can keep in your locker or backpack. Have fun with your care kit and find a case or bag that matches your backpack to go back to school in style!
If you need more tips on how to care for your braces, talk to our team at King Orthodontics during your next visit, and we will work with you to help make caring for your braces, retainers, and aligners quick and convenient to fit into your busy schedule!