When kids and teens get braces, it’s usually seen as a rite of passage. They’ll wear braces for a year or two, then have straight teeth that they’ll enjoy as an adult. Many adults, however, are looking to use adult orthodontics to fix bite issues that they have developed into their 30s, 40s, and 50s.
Usually, adults get braces for several reasons:
- They didn’t have proper orthodontic care as a child or teenager, and their teeth are now moving out of position since their bite has not been corrected.
- They had braces as a teen, but they didn’t follow-up as they intended, or didn’t wear a retainer, which means that their teeth have moved back into their original position.
There’s no reason why you can’t get orthodontic care as an adult. At least 30% of the patients at most orthodontic practices are adults who would like to correct their teeth and bite problems.
Most people who decide to get adult braces would like to do so because:
- The end result makes them feel confident. Many adults have always wanted to have straight teeth and a beautiful, healthy smile, but they didn’t have braces as a kid, and they would now like to get treatment.
- They have a job that puts them out in the public. Those who have customer-facing jobs, such as waiters, real estate agents, and those in customer service, have often told us that they would like to present their best image.
- They want to fix their bite. Often, when someone hasn’t received orthodontic care, they may develop a problem with how they chew or speak because of an overbite, under bite, or gapped or crowded teeth.
If you would like to have your teeth straightened, but don’t like the look of braces, the adult Invisalign system is an easy-to-use alternative to adult braces.
Invisalign uses clear, plastic aligners to straighten teeth and correct your bite, just as traditional metal braces do. However, Invisalign is perfect for adults, since the aligners are nearly invisible, which means that no one will know that you’re wearing them. They are also removable, so you can take them off when you eat, drink, and brush your teeth. You won’t have any dietary restrictions and can eat whatever you like. Additionally, this system allows you to properly brush and floss, which helps with your oral health.
King Orthodontics can answer all of the questions that you have about adult orthodontics, including the options and the cost. Visit one of our convenient locations, including downtown Pittsburgh, Wexford, and our newest office in Bridgeville. To set up an appointment or consultation, call us today.