Is There an Age Limit on Braces?
In the past few years, many adults have chosen to wear braces or clear aligners like Invisalign. You may be wondering what’s changed—why are adults wearing orthodontic appliances? There are several reasons, and if you’ve been thinking about the advantages, you should consider it too.
Why Do Adults Want to Straighten Their Teeth?
- It Improves Oral Health. Having straight teeth can make it easy to brush and floss your teeth. When you brush plaque away, you are preventing tartar from forming and gingivitis (gum inflammation) from appearing. Good oral hygiene also prevents periodontitis, which is a serious gum infection that can cause your teeth to loosen. Adults who have a crooked bite or crowding of the teeth know that it can difficult to properly brush and floss, which leads to problems with plaque.
- It Improves Self-Image. If you meet with people every day, or have a job that involves a lot of client interaction, you may feel self-conscious about your smile. Getting braces or Invisalign can make you feel better about yourself, your smile, and your appearance.
- It Completes Previous Care. Perhaps you received partial care with braces decades ago, and you didn’t finish your treatment, or you didn’t continue to wear your retainer. Your teeth may only be partially straightened or they may have moved back to a previous position. It’s never too late to finish your orthodontic care using Invisalign or traditional braces.
- It Helps With Overall Health. When you have an improper bite, it affects everything from your chewing, to your speech, to your digestion. Straightening your teeth can prevent your teeth from wearing down prematurely, make it less likely that you will lose teeth, and ensure that you are chewing your food enough to make it easy to aid in your digestion.
Why Do Adults Choose Invisalign?
Our adult patients have many reasons for using Invisalign:
- Many adults have had multiple dental procedures, such as filled cavities and root canals. Invisalign allows you to straighten your teeth following these kinds of treatments.
- It’s invisible, since it’s made of clear plastic aligners that fit over your mouth. You just keep them in for two weeks, and then replace them with the next set.
- It’s removable. Just pop them out when you eat, drink, or brush your teeth. That way, you can eat whatever you want.
- It’s fast. Adults use Invisalign for the same amount of time or less than they would with braces. Plus, instead of visiting your orthodontist every four weeks with traditional metal braces, you usually just have to visit about every six weeks.
If you’re interested in learning more about Invisalign, give King Orthodontics a call. We’ve seen more patients and corrected more smiles in the Pittsburgh area using Invisalign than anyone else. Our offices are in Downtown Pittsburgh and in the North Hills for your convenience. Contact us today!