The Benefits of Braces
Most of the time, you hear people say, “When my braces are off, my teeth are going to be so straight!” Of course, they’re right. When you finish your orthodontic treatment, and as long as you continue to wear a retainer and keep your teeth healthy, they will look straight and beautiful. That’s the aesthetics—but what are the practical, orthodontic benefits of braces?
Overall Benefits of Braces
When teeth are straightened, it will actually change different parts of your body. Why? Because the mouth is the beginning of the digestive tract, and it’s how you form your speech using your tongue and teeth.
Why Are Properly Positioned Teeth So Important?
Your teeth and bite must be aligned so that you can eat, digest your food, and talk.
- How you chew. If you have an overbite, an underbite, or a cross bite, you will likely have some difficulty chewing. When this happens, it will take longer for you to eat, and you may not be able to chew food enough, instead swallowing larger pieces.
- How well you clean your teeth. If your teeth are crooked because they don’t have room to grow into the right space, it will be difficult to properly brush and floss them, which can lead to cavities and gum disease. If your teeth are spaced too widely apart, then the natural protection that your teeth have is lost, and they can start drifting or become loose.
- How your teeth wear. When your teeth aren’t straight, your bite is affected. Some teeth may become more worn than other teeth, which could eventually expose the nerve, leading to root canal therapy or other treatments.
- How you digest your food. When your teeth are misaligned, you may not be able to chew your food into small pieces. That means that you could have trouble digesting these larger-than-normal pieces of food, which can lead to gastrointestinal problems.
- How you speak. Your teeth play an important role in your speech. You need your teeth to form sounds and words, and if they aren’t in the right place, then it could be causing problems with your speech.
These problems can be resolved with orthodontist treatment like braces or Invisalign. Pittsburgh orthodontist Dr. King has two convenient offices in our area and has more than 30 years of orthodontic experience. King Orthodontics is also Pittsburgh leading provider of Invisalign. Call us today for a complementary consultation.