At King Orthodontics, we enjoy serving our Wexford and Downtown, PA communities. Dr. Bryan King spent this afternoon lecturing to 140-second graders at Marshall Elementary School about the importance of brushing, flossing, and good oral hygiene. Now, we would also like to share a few good oral hygiene tips with our patients, courtesy of the American Dental Association, or ADA.
- Teeth brushing techniques: It takes only two minutes to properly brush, using short, gentle strokes and devoting extra attention to the gum line, areas around fillings, and hard-to-reach areas such as the back teeth.
- Flossing: Hold the floss snugly between thumbs and index finger and place it between each of the teeth, making sure to go beneath the gumline and curving the floss around the base of each tooth.
- Snack wisely: Choose healthy snacks such as vegetables, fruits, and cheese and avoid sticky, chewy candies that can stick to the teeth. If you eat these snacks, make sure to brush after doing so.
- Carbonated or sugary drinks: These beverages create acids that can damage the teeth when mixed with saliva, so they should be avoided altogether. When drinking one of these beverages, avoid sipping on it throughout the day. Rather, have a drink and then brush your teeth.
- Regular dental visits: You should visit your regular dentist for dental checkups (approximately every six months).
You can also watch the Patient Care Video on our website for a few oral hygiene tips. If you have any questions about keeping your mouth healthy, or about your treatment with King Orthodontics, please feel free to give us a call!
Latest posts by Dr. Bryan King (see all)