Braces for Teens
You’ve just found out that you need braces. What now?
Many teenagers wear braces—you probably know a lot of people in school who are also wearing them. And today, braces are more comfortable to wear, they’re easier to take care of, they come in different styles and options, and they often don’t have to be worn for as long as your parents may have had them.
How long do I have to wear braces?
The doctors of King Orthodontics realize that every person is unique. Therefore, no two patients have the exact same treatment. Many things will contribute to the type of treatment and how long your specific treatment will be, some of those things are:
- Early treatment — If you’ve already received early treatment–usually when you were eight or nine years old–it means that an orthodontist has already taken steps to correct your smile. Not everyone receives this treatment, and in fact, sometimes your orthodontist will recommend waiting until you’re a teenager.
- The kind of correction needed — Each person is different, and each mouth is different. The treatment you’ll need will determine how long you’ll be wearing braces. If your friends have worn braces for 24 months, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you will too. In fact, many of our patients only require a year or so of treatment.
- YOU! — If you’re willing to take care of your braces and follow the instructions our doctors and clinical team give you, it will have a positive and direct impact on your treatment. In other words, taking care of your braces really can help shorten your treatment time.
What are the options when it comes to braces?
At King orthodontics we have a number of options when it come to treatment. Our teen patients can choose from:
- Invisalign Teen – an alternative to braces
- Clarity clear braces
- Damon self-ligating braces
- Incognito lingual braces
- 3M Unitek metal braces
What am I allowed to eat while wearing my braces?
You may have heard your friends talk about some of the food and drinks you can’t have while wearing braces. It is important that you are mindful of what you are eating so that you do not damage your brackets and wires. Damaging your braces will mean extra appointments for repairs and it is possible that it could extend your treatment time. Our clinical team will be happy to answer any questions you have about food you can eat freely and foods you should avoid.
In the mean time, here is a list of some foods you can enjoy while you have braces:
Here is a list of some foods you should avoid while you have braces:
|Crunchy and hard foods
||Sticky and chewy foods
||Foods that you bite into
If you would like to learn more about braces and other orthodontic treatments for children, call or email our practice for a complimentary consultation. We have convenient locations in Wexford and Pittsburgh. Our team will work with you to help find appointments that will fit your busy schedule.